Monday 31 July 2017

A Good Summer

The Choir, mixed media, 36" x 36"



A friend texted me this morning and asked if I am having a good summer.

I didn't know what to say.

At around age 70 it might be better to ask , "Has your grief been contained this summer?

In spite of lost family, friends, relationships and places have you been able to laugh this summer? Enjoy a quiet moment in the sun, an ice cream come, a good book?"


Yesterday I found out that a family member has chosen doctor assisted suicide which will happen soon. 

We weren't close.  In fact for almost 50 years she has been my best enemy.  She infuriated me and though normally a placid person more prone to silent seething than outright confrontation I can't remember a conversation I had with her that lasted more than 20 minutes before I was shouting at her.

But in the last few months on my occasional visits as I sat by her hospital bedside we became friends.

So am I having a good summer?

Well, right now I am having trouble containing my grief but I can still laugh, still enjoy an ice cream cone, a good book and a quiet moment in the sun

so yes I'm having a good summer. 

1 comment:

  1. I guess it all depends on how we define it. Your artwork is very beautiful. And very haunting.

    ReplyDelete